Monday, September 6, 2010

THE HAIR PROJECT GETTING STARTED

I have started a project this fall to get my long hair back,and to get it thick and healthy again. These past months it jsut breaks andfeels really thin in the edges. It will take a lot of effort and some sacrifice and a hell lot of time but we'll see how it goes!

The first thing I did was putting acid in my head. Not as crazy as it sounds and not really as an actual part of my project, but more to try it out; I read an interview with an ecological hairdresser mentioning ascorbic acid, which helps remove the metals and pollutions your hair sucks up form the environment. After som googling I also learned that ascorbic can remove greens and yellow shades from blonde hair, which sounded promising since my cool blonde always tends to lean to yellow after a while. I also recalled another article about another eco-salon I read ages ago, where it was said that cabbage also has the property of sucking all that evil stuff out of your hair.

So, first off to the pharmacy (the lady there was a bit sceptic about the combination of acid and hair but I decided to give it a shot anyway).

Eddi could not hold his laugh when he heard for what I needed the cabbage I sent him to by… Well I did make a salad of most of it.

I thought the ascorbic acid would turn into some sort of jelly as it is used in jams and gelĂ©es, but it did not (it is used as an antioxidant and not a jelly substance, so it is pretty clear now that ones thinks about it…) It was a bit runny to apply easily and got into my eyes and I thought I was going to go blind for a moment but just a little water helped, sight still intact :)

The cabbage leaves were so easy to apply due to their shape and stayed in pace well. I was struggling a while weather to post any pictures of me during the process (also with a clay mask on my face once I was at it) bearing possible future employers typing my name into google in mind. And just the plain fact itself weather one really wants to be seen with cabbage on the head and clay in the face on the internet. But then again, I know you all want to see that cabbage hat of mine so here we go.

Ta-taa! (Let's see how many end up here after googling 'cabbage head' or 'girl with cabbage on her head' now shall we).

I'm not sure how much the cabbage actually soaked up in the end, but they were a whole lot floppier afterwards than when applying them. And I kept on thinking I can feel it suck up all bad things from my scalp, even though that might have been mostly psychological. (But I still don't consider this any eco mumbo-jumpo, in the end I'd rather trust the natural cabbage over a bunch of silicone combinations to restore my hair :)I of course had to try everything at once, so I reined my hair first with plain water) with a mix of water and apple-vinegar, as I read that's a natural substitute to conditioner. (But as I otherwise am not that into ecological hair care I did put a hair mask afterwards. You know, putting all those non-organic chemicals right back in my head.)

As far as the ascorbic comes, my hair did feel quite light afterwards but I wouldn't really say it removed any yellow tones. I almost think it dug those faded pink striped out again and made them orange. Not really, but in a certain light it seemed that way. I have some of that acid left so I might do this again at some point, perhaps. Although I think I prefer the cabbage :)